Thursday, December 22, 2011

Swimming Sensation

Swimming Sensation
By Maxine Tewsley


Hi. My name is Julia, but you need to call me Coach Julia. I am going to be your swim coach today. Now before we start I am going to tell you a story. Its about me when I was a 10 year old swimmer like all of you. Here's how it starts.
“Today.” announced Mr. Reagle my 5th grade teacher. He had black hair with little strands of gray becoming more visible everyday. “I have an announcement,” he continued smiling broadly.
“Tomorrow we will have an Olympics!”

The class looked around at each other. “You can sign up here,” he said leaning his head toward a large white sheet of paper with black print hanging on the chalk board. “Line up.”

There was a large scraping of chairs and footsteps. I stayed close to my best friend Eliza. She had red hair and a face full of freckles. After a few minutes it was our turn to read the list of activities. I read them aloud to Eliza.

“Basketball, soccer, baseball, relay races, jump rope, hula hoop, football and swimming.” I wanted to swim so badly but I didn't want to race Eliza who was also a swimming.  I thought for a moment.

“Hurry up!” yelled a boy behind me.

I walked up to Mr. Reagle. "Swimming,” I said quietly.

“No problemo,” he said without looking up.

The rain outside was pounding hard on the windows so that meant no outside recess.

“Hi,” said Jack. He was tall and had brown hair.

“Hi,” I replied turning my back to Eliza who was sitting behind me.

“Are you participating?” I asked as Eliza kicked me in the shin from under the table.

“Swimming,” he sighed. “Against you," he continued.

“Cool. Eliza’s swimming too,” I said receiving yet another kick on the shin. I no longer wanted to be kicked so I turned back to Eliza.

Now let me interrupt you there if you think that’s funny coach Eliza will come give you a kick in the shin, anyway back to the story.

The rain had cleared up and I followed Eliza out of the school and down the the street. My stomach ached with hunger. My sisters brownies sounded good. I was happy me and Eliza were getting together. We would train for swimming the next day. As we passed Eliza’s big yellow house she realized she needed to get her swimsuit.

“Hey I wasn't going to swim in my clothes,” Eliza interrupts my story to say this.

“Eliza really?” I question her. I do not like her interrupting my story.

“Sorry,” Eliza says.

Ok, back to the story. So as I was saying we passed her house and ran inside blah blah blah. I dropped my heavy orange and blue twin falls swim bag on the ground. Laying down arms outstretched on the freshly cut grass. She popped her head out the open door. “Are you coming? We gotta get changed,” she asked. I left my bag on the ground retrieving only my swim suit from it and ran up the blacktop driveway.

Me and Eliza had agreed to go to the pond by her house. I waded in and Eliza followed behind me. Every step I took the water got deeper. Once the water reached my neck, I dived under the murky water for a couple seconds before popping my head back out. I couldn’t seem to find Eliza and all of a sudden she jumped on my back screaming.

“Boo!” she interrupted again

“Eliza quit telling my story!' I said annoyed

“Sorry,” she replied

As I was saying, I turned around pulling her under the water. “There is only one way to settle this,” I said.

“Race!' said Eliza finishing the sentence for me.

“Start there. Go to the other side. Hit the log and back.” I nodded and swam up to the bank.

“3.2.1 go!” I screamed jumping into the cold water.  I hit the water trying to keep in time with Eliza. I hit the log. My hand ached, but I turned around and did the same I did before. When I reached the bank I pulled my self up after Eliza.

I had a blue one piece swim suit with white polka-dots. Today was the Olympics. Jack was next to me and the kids on the bleachers were arguing about who would win. 

“Good morning,” said Mr.Reagle. 

“Good morning,” echoed the class. 

“Are you ready?” he said looking at us. We nodded. 

“3.2.1 go!” He sounded like I did yesterday I thought diving into cold water. I kept in time with Jack as I did with Eliza yesterday. There it was the end of the pool. The buzzer. I pushed and pulled myself out of the water. 

“Tie” yelled Mr.Reagle patting us both on back. I smiled. Jack did nothing. 

“Dry off, change, and meet us on the play ground.” said Mr.Reagle and off I went.

I stood cross legged by the hall outside Mrs. Rhoney's (the principals) office. She was lecturing two 8th graders about texting in class. 

“Come in Julia,” she said as the two girls pushed past me. I sat down. 

“No need to sit down darling I just need you to go down to Mr. Reagle's classroom."  I nodded lifting myself out of the classroom. I walked down the long 5th grade hallway and stepped into Mr.Reagles B-64 classroom.

"Hi Julia. I was wondering if you wanted to verse Jack again?” he asked quickly. I nodded surprised and willingly. Jack who I hadn't noticed was sitting in the corner tossed me my swim bag. 

“Go change and meet us in the pool,” said Mr.Reagle who was now walking down the hallway towards the music/band room was.  I met them back at the pool. I took my spot at the end of the pool. 

“3.2.1 go!” he sounded just like he did last year. I did the same I did last year stroking the water carefully trying not to make any errors. I saw the end of the pool, the buzzer there it was in front of me. I hit it hard before pulling myself out of the 9 feet deep pool. There was no Jack standing proudly on the edge. Eliza was cheering hard on the bleachers. I just won. Jack pulled himself out not bothering to hit the buzzer. He shook my hand no expression on his face. Mr.Reagle proudly gave me and Jack both pats on the back. 

“Now you two better get back to class,” he said looking at us. And off we were.

“O.K., you heard my story. Coach Jack will start you with backstrokes,"' I said. “Oh, and by the way don't tell Coach Jack I told you this story, he'll flip right into the pool. Seriously,” I continued.

“Why did you tell them that story!" said Jack running behind me. Splash

“Ow he landed on my head!” said Daniel one of my students

“Sorry.” said Jack.

“See what I mean.”

No comments:

Post a Comment