Saturday, January 16, 2010

Helping Haiti: Chapter One


I sat facing my new laptop & typed. My fingers hit the keys one by one. Suddenly I heard my mom calling me for breakfast, I asked her “what is for breakfast”? “Toast, doughnuts & eggs” mom replied

I have been thinking I told my mom at the breakfast table, what can we do for Haiti? I said I feel horrible for the earthquake that happened in the country Haiti. Besides, it is the poorest on our side of the planet.

My mom said that my friend Cleo was supporting the country by going through all her stuffed animals & giving the ones she doesn’t want & giving them to Haiti.

I grinned at my ma & I knew what I could do, I would give Haiti at least $200 in cash from my bank account. I thought it was a great idea, but my dad didn’t think it was a good idea at all.

Hmm I muttered to myself I knew what Alden’s school could do for Haiti. The kids could bring in money, clothes, food, toys, medication and blankets and they all did. I knew that Haiti was being helped.
I ran upstairs to my room & typed with hope.

I typed and edited it seven times, the words:
Come to my Help Haiti party! From 11:00 to 7:00 at my house and definitely bring help for Haiti.
I ran downstairs and showed my mom the piece of paper that I had printed out. She read it and she agreed for the party to happen.

All the people I invited showed up at my party. They each brought at least five items to help Haiti. I said to everyone that showed up, “Thanks for supporting my party and definitely Haiti.” I smiled and waved at my friends as they walked out the door.

The next day, my family was ready to box up the stuff that we got for Haiti and ship it away for free. When I looked at the truck, it looked WAY heavier than usual. As I turned around the truck drove around the corner and I felt the best I could for Haiti.

Our school is doing a support for Haiti. And I am pretty sure that many other schools are too.

I believe in ourselves, the people of the United States to save Haiti.

Please help Haiti and pray for them. Because they need our help.

That IS my dream. This week, me and my friend Sophie are going to look through my stuff and decide what I don’t need and what might be helpful for Haiti. I am doing my part. Please do your part too.

A Note From Maxine's Mom:

I am including a list of link's to organizations and news stories that provide information on how to best help the people of Haiti.

From the LA Times

The American Red Cross

World Vision

Children's Hunger Relief Fund

Obama, former Presidents Clinton and Bush on the recovery effort in Haiti

Help For Haiti - Find Out What You Can Do

5 comments:

  1. Max: You are such a sweet, caring young lady. I am sure you will come up with some very useful things that you can send to help the children of Haiti. It is a good thing to give to those in need and especially if it is something you have and don't really need and it is something that will make another person feel better. It will make you feel good too.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maxine, I want to thank you for all of the wonderful things that you are doing. I am the activities director at an assisted living facility in Nashville, Tn. 2 of my employees are from Haiti. Yesterday they both finally received word from their families. One, Memecon, received very happy news and we were thankful for answered prayers. Unfortunately, Roseline, found out that many of her family members were missing and some already confirmed deceased. Again, thank you for your help!

    I would also like to thank you for your history "lessons". I have a resident who is 94 years old. Her name is Ina Hall. I share your writings with her, I hope that you don't mind. She loves history almost as much as you! She looks forward to seeing the things that you write!

    Thank you, Maxine, from all of us!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maxine, you have a big heart and a great plan. Your social conscience makes the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there were more Maxines in the world. It would make it such a better place. I am looking forward to getting to know you better by reading your wonderful blogs. Your Mommy and Daddy are so fortunate to have a daughter like you and a son like your brother, of course. (Tell your Mom to check her email. I have some interview questions I'm sending to you for the article I'm writing about you.)

    ReplyDelete